August 2, 2011
What is it?
It is a fungus that lives on dead skin and grows in dark, warm, moist areas.
How does it feel?
It causes itching, burning and cracking of the skin, especially between the toes. It can also make toe nails become thick and yellow.
What can be done?
- Wash your feet daily with soap and water. Make sure you dry your feet well, especially between your toes.
- Use foot powder, such as talcum. Make sure you also put it in your socks and shoes.
- Change your socks daily. If you can, change socks twice a day. (Do not wear nylon or heavy wool socks).
- Wear sandals when possible. Leather shoes also allow perspiration (or sweat) to evaporate.
- Anti-fungal powders can be bought over the counter and are considered safe and effective. If you continue to have problems after using one of these powders for one month, you should see your doctor.